[6pack] Differential Removal Update

Jim Hurley jimhurle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:06:21 MST 2010

Hello,

About a month ago I posted that in trying to remove the diff, the bolts were
turning, at least one of them. Several people responded with helpful
thoughts.And people asked me to let everyone know how it worked out. So ...

A beautiful sunny day in the high sixties here in the Boston area. I hit the
nuts with more PBlaster last week. Today I tried an old trick - I tightened
the nuts as much as I could. One never seemed to tighten - the right front.

Then I twisted each one as hard as I could in the off direction. And they
all came loose! If this had not worked, I would have used the nut-cutter to
get them off.

So this turned out to be a great day!!!

Bad news is that the right front mount is cracked almost straight across
from side to side. Good news is that this is repairable, right? It looks to
me like I could cut the cracked bracket out with an angle grinder and then
make a piece to replace it, then box it in. Does this make sense?

Jim (Lucky) Hurley

PS. The definition of an Irish American is someone who goes around on St.
Patrick's Day, trying to stick their chest out as far as their belly!