[6pack] Cylinder haed swap

Vance Navarrette v.navarrette at comcast.net
Mon Nov 1 14:26:51 MST 2010

	John:

	There is more to this than the CR. The later TR6 heads, for
example, have markedly superior ports to the earlier TR6/TR250 design.
In addition, the later heads have a smaller exhaust valve that actually
flows better than the earlier larger valve because the valve is not
shrouded by the combustion chamber wall. The PI cars got the better port
design all along, but North America for some reason got badly strangled
smog heads instead. Only later as the CR continued to fall did Triumph
give us the good port design in order to make up for the niggardly 7.5:1
compression ratio.

	Lastly, the later TR6 manifold flows much better than the
earlier "square" manifold. Once again this was done so that the
miserable performance of a desmogged ("castrated" is a more descriptive
term) engine could be offset.

	If you want performance, you are much better off using the late
TR6 head and manifold, and milling the head to raise the compression to
9.5:1 or 10:1. This will require approximately 0.125" to be removed from
the head.

	The earlier head designs give up too much in terms of flow to be
considered, IMHO.

	Vance