[6pack] Clutch slave pushrod

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Mon Oct 4 09:30:01 MDT 2010

Hi,

I just wanted to throw something in to this discussion...

I just "fixed" my street car "clutch engages .005" from the floor" issue.

It turns out that the clutch pressure plate fingers were about 1/4"
"lower" than any of the other pressure plates I have hanging around,
measured by placing the PP face down and measuring the height to the
highest point on the fingers where the relase bearing contacts.

This was a very odd finding as the PP was an LUK and was one of the first
Laycock replacement PP's offered by a mail rder vendor about 20 years ago.
At any rate, that clutch was installed about 8 years ago and always caught
fairly close to the floor, but the car became undrivable this summer after
only about 25 k miles on the clutch.

The replacement is a B&B that came out of the race car when I installed a
C/R gearset, so it has low hours on it, albiet somewhat "hard miles"

At any rate, if your clutch catches low to the floor and you've eliminated
all the variables (linkage slop, poor hydraulics and the dreaded broken
clutch fork pin), measure the height of your pressure plate fingers...
you're probably in for a surprise. I'll try to post comparitive clutch
finger heights when I have some time to measure - by coincidence, I have 8
clutch PP's on the shelf in my shop.

regards,
rml