[6pack] Rota RB Wheels - What I found

Bruce Simms brucesimms2003 at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 11 11:06:54 MDT 2010

Yes, those Panasport/Minilite look-a-likes on Ebay for $500 set are priced
very
nicely.   Panasports 16x7 fitment are in the $300 +/each  range.   While
yes,
you do get what you pay for,  no need to buy more then you need.
Boy, Rotas can be a hot topic on the Jap & European car discussion groups.
These guys don't mind going after one another.   We're positively gentle in
comparison.   Guess its a maturity (age) & British car thing.

	1. Rotas are
cast, not forged like expensive high end wheels.   Not sure if
rotas are
gravity or pressure cast.   i understand pressure casting is a better
process.  I'm definitely not an engineer, but I understand a cast wheel will
never be as strong as a forged one.

	2. Higher end forged wheels may come
in several pieces, an advantage for wheel
repair.   But if I need to
replace a Rota at say $150/wheel, I'm not going to
lose any hair over it.
	3.
rotas made in the Phillippines.   Company has a 20+ year history.
	4. rotas do
meet international quality standards and are new car fitment on
some makes.
5. Folks do race on them.
	6. Folks that owned Rotas almost always stood up
for them.   Detractors were
usually not owners or, they referred to damaged
rotas seen on internet posted
pictures or stories from several years ago.
	7.
I don't think my fast road TR6 is likely to overstress a reasonably decent
wheel.   I have maybe 135 hp, not 300.   Our cars handle well, I avoid the
potholes if possible.
	8. Bob Danielson mentioned a new wheel available from
acmespeedshop at a good
price, a well regarded British car shop.

Bruce
Simms