[6pack] Sharpness after head milling

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Fri Mar 9 13:28:52 MST 2012

Brian---I would agree that sharpness after having a head milled must be dealt
with. I was disappointed to find this very thing after having .120 taken from
the head of a friend's '72 TR6. It took an hour or so going over the head with
an Arkansas stone to break down the edges, esp. around the sparkplug holes.

As you and others have noted, it's easy to over-cam the TR6 engine, with
disappointing results. Cams that come on too high in the rpm band takes away
from the city driving responsiveness that we like.
(However, these cams with long valve overlap do help control detonation.)
There's a lot that's been written about coming up with a nice combination for
adding useful power to the 6. One area that's not mentioned enough (I think)
is the proper air/fuel ratio. Too much fuel per air reduces power, and is also
wasteful. To avoid this, or at least know what is taking place, I'd suggest
installing an 02 sensor in the exhaust, along with a monitor viewable
somewhere in the cockpit. (See attached photo for one idea). Don't bother with
this if your engine is stock, or lightly modified. If you're into changing
needles, then....

Dick
'73

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image1.jpg]