[6pack] DOT 5 leads to hydraulic component failures

Glenn Franco gaf3 at charter.net
Sat Feb 9 16:20:50 MST 2013

I spent the last 8 years of my career in Brake Engineering with TRW
(owns Lucas) as my supplier.
There are a multitude or reasons why they will not warranty components
that use Dot5

  * All their bench durability and life testing is primarily done with
    DOT 3 or 4
  * DOT 5 is not Hygroscopic and does not absorb moisture
  * All Fluid boil tests are done with DOT 3 or 4 with max H20 absorption
  * Field testing in Death Valley is done with DOT 3
  * The legal staff probably warned them against it.

That being said I have used Silicone DOT 5 in My TR6 for the past 4
years with no problems or lifted paint.

With any fresh brake builds I use Silicone DOT 5.

Just my 2 cents worth
Glenn