[6pack] DOT 5 leads to hydraulic component failures

robert fabie bobfabie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 06:27:40 MST 2013

6pack friends,

I have also used silicone in my hydraulic systems for almost 8 years with
no detrimental effects. The only thing I can't explain is why the purple
brake fluid eventually turns brown despite all the components having been
renewed when the switch to DOT 5 was made.

However, my point in replying is to urge the experts in this group to
figure out why Jerry Shaw's brake system failed. The majority seem to
concur that it wasn't caused by silicone, but I'd like to learn what then
caused Jerry's problems. Jerry, perhaps if you would provide more details
about the brake problems you experienced someone might come up with
alternative explanations.

Best to all,
Bob Fabie
'75 TR6