[6pack] DOT 5 leads to hydraulic component failures

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 18:29:12 MST 2013

I did essentially the same thing as Lou describes on my Austin Healey and
drove it for many years afterwards with no problems, on the TR250 I started
with all new parts and used Dot 5, no problems there either.  I tried to
post to this topic earlier, but don't think it went through.  I have been
driving brit cars for a long time, about 35 years, in the old days I had
regular issues with this or that slave cylinder leaking or seeping past the
seals, couldn't say exactly how often, but happened more times than I can
remember, maybe once every year or two.

Since going to silicone about 10 years ago I don't believe I have had any
issues whatsoever with leaks, hard to remember for sure that far back, but
know I have not had issues for many many years.