[6pack] DOT 5 leads to hydraulic component failures

Lfmaol lfm614 at aol.com
Sun Feb 10 10:00:31 MST 2013

I respectfully disagree with the need to flush with alcohol. The reason I say
that is that I have been running DOT5 in a previous DOT3 system without the
alcohol flush for almost 4 years now with no problems what so ever.  I rebuilt
both master cylinders and clutch slave but not the wheel cylinders or calipers
as they were/are working great with no leaks, sponginess or binding.

After reading a very good article on Buckeye Triumphs about fluids when I was
doing this, I decided to just replace the 3 with 5.  They don't mix at all.
If you put both in a jar, they will stratify in less than an hour with the
DOT3 (and water) on bottom.   So what I did is I flushed the DOT3 with DOT5 by
bleeding the brakes starting from the furthest wheel first, etc. until I saw
dark purple fluid at all four corners.  After about 100 miles and 2 weeks
later I repeated the process and got the rest of clear fluid which was minimal
out.

I believe that if you are not very careful to flush just the lines and use new
rubber you can more damage that good by exposing the rubber seals to alcohol.
Look what E15 is doing to fuel lines and seals and why most car manufacturers
today say it will void the warranty to use it and that's only 15% alcohol.

I think that the best thing you can do to ensure success during rebuild is to
use abundant Girling or other rubber grease to coat the seals and reduce
friction, it will last as its not soluble to DOT5.  Also be real careful when
buying new masters and cylinders as there are lots on cheap imitations out
there of not the best quality. This is why I prefer to rebuild unless there is
substantial pitting and so far I have had good luck with that approach.

Not arguing, just presenting a different opinion from someone that's been
there - done that.

Here is the Buckeye article if anyone wants to read it :
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Fluid/Fluid.htm

Lou
72 Pimento