[6pack] triple carb nightmare

Dave dave at ranteer.com
Sat Feb 23 11:57:55 MST 2013

in the last couple of weeks, I had submitted a description of a problem of 1
carb misbehaving while the other 2 seemed just fine.

some of you had requested to learn of the final disposition.

my mechanic had a different result when he swapped 1 & 3.  for him, carb in
location 3 still had issues

he pulled off the manifolds, and discovered a crumbling gasket underneath,
which, btw, was a high performance gasket I had paid extra for!

and, he also discovered that there were leaks in the throttle shafts of 1 and
2 (we had replaced 3 already)

I have two bits of advice after this adventure

1.  if you are going to have your carbs rebuilt (this mechanic did mine, but
did not replace the throttle shafts), pay the money to have paltech do it.
the carbs will come back gorgeous, and all the bits and pieces will have been
replaced, tested, and will work.  in the long run, it wonbt cost more.  and
they will be pretty!  now, to be fair to my mechanic, I took off the carbs,
gave them to him, and put them back on myself.  he had no way to test them.

2. if you replace a part on one assembly (such as a throttle shaft on a carb),
do them all.