[6pack] Engine guys?

fetnerj001 at hawaii.rr.com fetnerj001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Oct 19 00:32:36 MDT 2014

Aloha Sloan,

  I did the same thing to my TR6 engine a few years ago (rods then mains later).  I had a hard time getting the front upper main out, and had to loosen up the other mains to let the crank down a bit to get it out.  I had a hard time getting a new one back in, at least not with what seemed to be goodly force.  I don't recall if there was rotation binding, but I know I ended up putting the old upper bearing back in.  Overall, OP came up by ~10 PSI cold and 5 hot.

  The front mains were noticeably less worn (no copper showing!) than the others. Maybe the front runs more 'true' and has less wear than the rear.  So FWIW, reusing that bearing shell could be an option.  Maybe one of our real wrenches can explain.

Jeff
74.5 TR6