[6pack] Won’t start

John Cohen jmcoh at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 18:55:52 MDT 2018

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S

Ok, I’ve never since 1992 had such issue with my TR6! Latest issue while trying to tune up for emission inspection (which failed...and yes Oregon requires it 1974 and newer)...
Now the possessed beast won’t start at all!

I’ve pick bugging Richard Taylor on tune up issues and now as my problems get worse... I better stop bugging him.
Here is what I have done/tested to trouble shoot...

Ok. Won’t start - so I pulled plugs.
They were fouled due to the rich mix so I cleaned them.
Still won’t start. No spark to the plugs or wire when testing! And no shock is induced when I decided to hold the wire to get a better look.
So...why no spark when using various wires and a plug touch the engine block?

Put in new cap, rotor, points, condenser. Nope.
Gap on the points has been checked and rechecked. As has the two connecting wires that need to be insulated with the plastic points sleeve.

Tried spare condenser, and rotors (have both red and old black ones)
Even tried a spare coil. Nope.
Tested wires to make sure there wasn’t a break internally.

Tested the coil to see if spark was achieved at the wire to the center of dist. Faint, but yes. (I used the method described in a Moss video)
Volt test shows battery at 12.46 and coil is 11.91. Hmm. Thought it should be the same. That test is with ignition turn to ON.
Maybe that is where something is wrong. Or maybe normal because of voltage drop.

Even checked the base plate earth ground wire. All good.
I’ve never had such a baffle before.
I suppose I could have a defective part but tried spare parts one by one.

Oh, yes. I confirmed I have gas and confirmed fuel is coming out of the pipe at the carbs. Which pointed me back to checking the spark. No spark in a dark garage and no shock is felt.

There must be one other electrical component.

There are only so many darn things and I am just stumped. My poor car doesn’t want to get back on the road!
One problem after another! My life is consumed with this car and about to roll it off a cliff! But I am too obsessed.

James,So are you saying it was running ok before you started your tune up?

First off, holding the high tension lead to check for a shock is generally not advised and something done only once.
My bet would be to look closely at the coil. Are the leads running to your coil tight and on the correct polarity? Is the high tension lead to the distributor seated firmly on both ends?  You say you used a spare coil. Why was it replaced?  Could it be bad as well?

Secondly bad new condensers are out there and can cause this problem.
Good luck and don't get discouraged.
John CohenRutland BY1976 TR6