[6pack] Won’t start

James_ jattr6 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 21:55:29 MDT 2018

Well... it started perfectly up until recently.

then i tuned the carbs. I thought I had them balanced really well.

Then when i came out to start the car up it barely started then ran rough. even though nothing was changed.

So I threw in new condenser, points, rotor, cap. i think at that point i threw in new carb - intake gaskets as well.

still ran rough. no difference at all. I think it had trouble starting at that point.

I took a break, when i tried to start it later ... maybe next day... would not start at all. I've been battled all day long today.

I did NOTHING between starting and not starting. Trust me... I would have hit UNDO if that was the case.

I pulled a spark plug wire the plug and laid against the engine block to test for a spark.

In case the spark was so tiny, I held the plug wire for a quick second while i turned the engine. Just because I was

so frustrated and the shock wouldn't be extreme.

Anyway, I had a spare NEW coil. Only because many years ago I was on a road trip and paranoid of things going wrong. So I had a repair kit.

So today, after a long break...i hooked out the spare coil AGAIN... and sure enough the darn car fired! I didn't do anything else or different from when it would not start.

So naturally I wired the other coil to see... well, that fired up the car too!

Doesn't make sense (to me). So sure, the connectors on the coil could have been the issue, but i checked them many times and I tested the coil - and it was giving spark to the distributor cap.

Well, now that it started it seems i have it way too rich. I turned the needle counter clockwise to 2.5 times CC and still seems too rich. whereas days ago 1.75 turns was about correct. something is just getting messed up. and the gremlins are doing weird things.

it is way beyond comical.
If anyone cares, I could make a list. one thing after another.

James,
So are you saying it was running ok before you started your tune up?

First off, holding the high tension lead to check for a shock is generally not advised and something done only once.

My bet would be to look closely at the coil. Are the leads running to your coil tight and on the correct polarity? Is the high tension lead to the distributor seated firmly on both ends?  You say you used a spare coil. Why was it replaced?  Could it be bad as well?

Secondly bad new condensers are out there and can cause this problem.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.

John Cohen
Rutland BY