[6pack] Speedometer Problem

Patrick Bitton pbitton at tr-6.net
Fri May 25 15:20:34 MDT 2018

Hello everyone,

My car has been in storage for the past 7 years. After my first child, it
was time to put it away and focus on my family. Another 2 kids later, made
it even harder to take the car out. Now my wife said that I have to take out
the car and start driving it for our own sanity!

I had to get a mechanical inspection and the inspector told me yesterday
that my speedometer was not working. It does work but the needle just
bounces until it gets to about 60km/hr. and then it stabilizes.  Has anyone
ever seen something like it before?

I do have a J-type overdrive that was from a Volvo but the gear was never
replace when the OD was rebuilt. Could this be the culprit? Also, the
speedometer doesn't show the right speed because of the wrong gear.

Please help, I NEED to get my car on the road.

Thanks,

Patrick Bitton

'71 TR-6 Brooklands Green