[6pack] Front Suspension teardown plan

Yahoo brucesimms2003 at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 11 10:40:37 MDT 2022

Hi all:   I'm tearing down  the right front suspension down to enable the frame and alignment shop to re-weld the broken passenger side  rear lower wishbone to chassis bracket.   Upon front end disassembly,  the 73  tr6 will be towed to their shop.  Here is how I plan to proceed with the tear down and, reassembly after car comes back to my garage.  My automobile association membership will pay for  the tow to the shop, with me paying for the return trip.  The shop is happy to have me do it this way,  telling me I'll save big.   Please take a look at my plan and provide any suggestions, hints or corrections, or tell me I've got it right.   1,2 and 3 are as per Bentley manual, while 4. is where I'm more uncertain.
I had front end apart last year, replaced some things, so parts are all good as far as I know.

1.      Remove Shock (as per Bentley)

2.      Remove spring and spring pan (per Bentley)

a)      Disconnect roll bar link from roll bar
b)     Insert my beefy threaded rod spring compressor where shock was andcompress spring to relieve vertical joint of spring tension
c)      Disconnect vertical link and trunnion from lowerwishbones and release them from wishbones

d)     Disconnect and remove roll bar bracket andspacer from wishbones

e)     Remove nuts, washers and bolts and separate thewishbone arms from spring plate
f)       Unwind the compressor slowly until spring plateand spring can be removed.   Watch spring plan so it doesn't foul chassis.
3.      Remove nuts and washers securing lower wishbonebrackets to chassis and remove wishbone arms and brackets (Bentley)

4.      Remove upper wishbone arms, fulcrum bracket,ball joint vertical link, trunnion, brake caliper, disc, and hub as a big unit

a.      Disconnect brake hose from brake pipe and cap offbrake pipe

b.      Disconnect vertical arm from steering rack

c.      Disconnect fulcrum bracket from chassis

d.      Remove the big unit

Re-assemble front suspension in reverse order.   Much easier said then done!   (Is there acorrect order to re-attach the big unit?)

1.      Bleed brakes
2.      Get an alignment
Thank you very much,
Bruce Simms