[Alpines] Aluminum Flywheel question

Carl McLelland carlynneracing at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 18 07:43:16 MST 2008

I agree with the rivet recommendation. What is the thickness of the wear
surface? The forces working adversely on the wear surface are rotational
shear, not forces that would lift the wear surface off the flywheel.

Assuming there is sufficient thickness to the wear surface I would consider
shuffle pins to prevent rotation, then rivet it to the flywheel. Any competent
machine shop should be able to do this. Besides, you'll want to magnuflux the
wear surface and dye-penetrant test the flywheel first to insure it's not
coming apart or through the bell housing when you least expect/desire it to do
so, and after the fabrication is complete you'll want to balance the assembly
again.

Heli-coils would work, provided there is enough thickness to the flywheel for
them to get enough interlocking threads. I would instead recommend a
"time-sert" type repair; and a competent machine shop will know the best type
for the job.

Good luck and happy racing!!
    Carl    Lotus 61 FF, formerly Series 1 Alpine