[Alpines] Tiger Temperature Sender

THE LEES jsrlee at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 8 23:20:34 MDT 2009

My father and I are about ready to fire up his MkIA Tiger for the first time
since his boss brought it to him for a clutch job...

... in 1973.

One thing (among many) we are confused about is the temperature sender.

The engine in the car (which was in the car when he bought it) is a 302 with a
289 intake.  There's a hole in the intake, which is where the Smiths
temperature sender has been sitting since the engine was rebuilt in the early
90s. We know that the original 260's temp sender would have been in a
T-fitting in the heater hoses.  The temp sender threads into the current in
take (a 2BBL 289 intake) but feels pretty sloppy going in, so this is probably
an American-threaded 289 intake.

Short of taking the intake off, filling the hole and retapping it for the
Smiths gauge, what can we do?  Put a lot of teflon tape on and hope it does
not leak?  Plug the hole and try to find this mysterious T-fitting? We'd
prefer to keep the stock gauge as we are trying to go with all stock gauges.
Is it possible to find an American sender with similar resistance values?

Cheers,

Ryan Lee
B382000073 LRXFE (Dad's Tiger)
B395000793 LRX (My Alpine)