[Alpines] brake switch

Carl McLelland carlynneracing at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 15 13:02:59 MDT 2009

Ten years ago when I was restoring my Series 1 race car I heard that
silicone/synthetic brake fluid was bad for natural rubber seals like those
used in British cars.  To test the theory I immersed a rubber seal in
synthetic/silicone brake fluid in a jar then promptly forgot about it. About
six months later when I got to the point of overhauling the calipers and rear
brake cylinders I came across that jar.

I found that (1) the seal had shrunk about 25% and (2) had literally turned to
stone! It would have been completely unuseable for it's intended purpose:
serving as a seal in a brake or hydraulic system.

I used Castrol GTLMA brake fluid in my Alpine and later in my Lotus 61 formula
Ford and have NEVER had any problem whatsoever with it.
    Carl