[Autox] Class Participation (Part 1)

Clemens Burger burgerc at iquest.net
Tue Nov 3 18:32:25 MST 2009

I sent a message to this list couple weeks ago, but I received a return
message that, at 10 kB, it was too large, and it was being reviewed by the
moderator (like this list is suffering from too much content).  It appears
the the message was never approved, and I never heard back from the
moderator as promised in the automated reply, despite follow-ups.  I guess
the next best option is to break up the message.  Here it goes:

I posted the message shown below on SCCAForums a little while
ago.  However, things are so fragmented now with various discussion forums
and social networks, that I suspect that only a very limited number of
people have seen this information.  I can see the number of views, but the
majority of those are repeated views by the same people.  I estimate that
the number of different people who have looked at this thread is somewhere
below 200.  Things were so much easier 10-15 years ago when Team.net was
the only option...

Anyway, below is a copy of my message about Rule 4.9 in the hope that a few
more people get a chance to see this and learn about some of the effects
this rule has.  Hey, maybe we can even get a few more letters written to
the SEB (the address is seb at scca.com), in which people state their
positions on this rule.  I really want something done about this rule since
I don't think it is good for the sport the way it is written, and my
understanding is that the SEB generally only reacts to letters, and only if
they come in in large quantities.  Therefore, if you believe that Rule 4.9
has issues, please support with a letter to the SEB.

Thanks for listening.

Clemens

"An observing person attending the 2009 Solo National Championship in
Lincoln probably noticed that a number of cars displayed stickers that
looked like this:

(can't show a picture here, the 3"x3" sticker shows the test "Rule 4.9"
inside a red circle with a red line through it)

I assume that not everyone is fully aware of what these stickers are about,
and I want to explain. Rule 4.9 appears on page 33 of the 2009 Solo
Rulebook and is titled "Minimum Participation Level for National Classes":

"If in three consecutive years at the Solo National Championship a class
fails to field a combined total (Open and Ladies) of at least seventeen
(17) entrants, then for the following year that class will be consolidated,
eliminated, or restructured, using competition adjustments (for example,
weights and/or wheel sizes) if necessary and applicable within the affected
category."

As far as I understand, this rule was put in place to ensure "deep" classes
and tight competition. It may have also been an attempt to give competitors
an idea of how classes will be adjusted. I am sure this rule was
well-intended, but it has a very negative effect on a number of classes.
Rather than driving competition, it is threatening entire categories of
classes. To illustrate the problem, here are some of the entry numbers from
the 2008 National Championships:

AM 10 cars
BM 14 cars
CM 16 cars