[Autox] Class Participation (Part 1)

Bill Fuhrmann bill at fuhrmann.us
Wed Nov 4 06:26:30 MST 2009

I don't think you have proven your case.
Are you cherry picking data?
How about 3-5 years of the most recent participation lists (with notes if
rules changes would have moved cars to a different class?

What number are you proposing?  You said that 5 is too low, what about 10?
What about 15?
Everything you say about 17 can be said about 10.
Any number is a compromise, what makes your unchosen number better than 17?

How much do you think the SEB is going to listen to letters that say.
"This rule stinks, replace it with something else but we have no clue what."
You neeed to make a complete proposal.
Otherwise they can say 16.5 and your wish has been granted.

I have been away from autocross for a long time and never was part of the
SCCA.
I have no play in the rule either way but feel that I understand it enough
to play devil's advocate.

The rule does not suddenly drop classes.  It gives them three years.
Knowing that autocrossers will read the letter of the law to benefit them,
all the class die hards have to do is get together and bring road kill to
drive their cars every three years to reset the clock.
If I had written the rule, it probably would have been based on a three year
average to avoid the years being 10-10-17.

Again, what is your solution?