[Autox] Class Participation (Part 3)

Rocky Entriken rocky at spitfire4.com
Wed Nov 4 18:14:38 MST 2009

In 1973 we had 15 classes at the first Solo Nationals, which included one
Ladies class on Index. Or, as a practical matter 14 classes in which 224
drivers competed. That's an average of 16 cars per class.

in 2009 we had 38 separate classes, all but the FJs having parallel Ladies'
classes. We had 1148 entrants, or an average of 30.2 entrants each. of
course, when you include the Ladies classes we had 72, and that included 16
"empty or close to it" (one trophy, or in two cases, none). But I believe my
proposal does not go to the extreme, but backs away from it. It says if we
have a class of one or two or three cars (or up to six), well you people
have fun, enjoy the event, but you haven't risen to the level of champion.
However, you might next year because we aren't taking your class away. You
have nothing to fear, but you do have the possibility of striving to achieve
something better.

We anointed 67 champions this year, plus five "winners" of supplemental
classes (two of which had four drivers in trophies). Had my proposal been in
effect, we'd have crowned 49 champions and declared 23 "winners." It would
have made the mantle of champion more exclusive and more deserving, which
still not disenfranchising anybody.

I don't think that just because someone came up with Street Touring as a
good idea (and it was), adding eight more total classes to the mix, that
that should mean members with many years' investment -- financial and
emotional -- in their Prep or Mod cars should have to be on some artificial
bubble or have to worry that their years of involvement in SCCA can be wiped
away because some relative newbie (who may not have even been born yet when
some of us began doing this) thinks we should eliminate classes just so we
can have fewer classes. When the average entry nowadays is five times what
it was at the beginning, but the total number of classes has merely doubled,
I think "too many classes" is a bogus issue. (But if you think it's too many
for local events, then combine 'em or revise 'em. The rules let you do
that.)

IMHO, the new classes we have are in response to members wanting to compete
under that kind of concept, and good for them. That doesn't invalidate those
who want to continue competing with the earlier concepts. But again, if it
becomes obvious to the SEB they need to do something about a class, they've
never needed a Rule 4.9 to do it. All 4.9 does is create an artificial Sword
of Damocles hanging over the heads of those in the threatened classes. There
Is No Need to have threatened classes. It is counterproductive to the
concept of SCCA sportsmanship.

--Rocky Entriken