[Autox] Class Participation (Part 3)

John Lieberman jlieberman37 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 5 19:07:11 MST 2009

I agree with what you're trying to do here, Clemens -- but I also like
Rocky's proposal.  To me, it make more sense.  And, since it's already
been done in Club Racing, that should give us some leverage with Solo,
too.

I'm in the same boat that Rocky's in -- we both run in GP -- and I know
that we've both had to live with this artificial "bubble" ever since our
class was created from DP a few years ago.  When I built my Mini (as a
DP car) 23 years ago, I wasn't even thinking about National classes.  I
just did it because it was a whole lot easier and cheaper to turn the
pile of parts that I had bought into a Prepared car than it would have
been to take it back to Street Prepared or even Stock class status.  The
money I would have had to spend on interior and exterior trim parts --
let alone, ancillary engine parts -- was better spent, in my book, on
performance parts.  I just wanted something that I could have fun with
locally.  I didn't even attend my first Nationals until '97 and I didn't
drive at Nationals until '98.  By then, I had already sunk far more time
and money into my little car than I should have, and I still wasn't a
competitive driver -- even though the little car might have been up to
the task in the right hands.

Unfortunately, I've had to miss the last couple of Nationals -- but not
because of the rules.  It was strictly for financial reasons!!!
However, by not being there, I also know that I contributed to the
problem in our class.  I DO plan to be there in 2010 -- even if GP isn't
recognized as a National class -- but that doesn't help us with where we
are now.

BTW -- I would love to get my hands on a couple of those stickers.
Please let me know the best way to go about doing that.

John Lieberman