[Autox] Class Participation (Part 1)

Clemens Burger burgerc at iquest.net
Thu Nov 5 20:34:50 MST 2009

Bill,

This is not a law suit, and there is not necessarily a right or wrong
answer.  Fact is that no matter what timeframe I look at, there are way too
many classes close enough to the 17-car limit to keep people who are
seriously interested in those classes from making a step and joining
them.  I do not need to cherry pick data to show that.  Rule 4.9 is
counterproductive, and I don't see any use for it.  Rocky has already
responded with a number of arguments against the rule.  Rule 4.9 is not
required to make adjustments to classes.  I have not ever seen the rule
kick in with respect to stock classes, and it seems like they get looked at
every other year and adjusted on a regular basis anyways.

You said that any number is a compromise.  That is absolutely
correct.  These numbers are arbitrary.  Why is the number 17 and not 5 or
10 or 15 or 60?  However, the fact that Rule 4.9 threatens the existence of
the majority of two entire categories of classes tells me that there is
something wrong with the rule.  Do we want to ban what I call real race
cars from Solo competition?  If so, we can move the minimum participation
requirement up to 30 cars, but that would not be the club that I want to
belong to.  In my opinion, the Sports Car Club of America needs to give the
race cars a place to run.  Otherwise, we can rename it to the Miata Club of
America, the Honda Club of America, or the Subary Club of America.

Also, my posting was a message to team.net, not a letter to the SEB.  I am
neither trying to change the opinion of the people who believe that the
minimum participation level should be higher than the current 17-car
minimum, nor am I making a proposal to the SEB with my post.  However, I am
trying to point out to people the issues that Rule 4.9 creates, and many
people I have talked so far have agreed with me.

Clemens