[Autox] Rule 4.9

Robert Barone rjbfspso at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 6 13:53:43 MST 2009

Many good points have been raised here in discussing the pros and cons on the
4.9 rule. I have a few points to add:

Since this rules proposal started
gaining momentum several years ago I canceled plans to build a new chassis for
my A Mod car. (Why spend money if I have no place to play.) I have also
drasticly reduced the amount I have spent on upgrades and tires. (Same reason
as above.) Remarkably I found other things that were more important to spend
my hard earned money on. The house got a new roof, gutters, windows,
insulation and siding. The new chassis is out of the picture permantly.

My
Participation in SCCA SOLO has been drasticly reduced. After 35 years of some
degree if SCCA SOLO involvement I attended -ZERO - SCCA SOLO's in 2009.

If
my car did not break some important pieces at the non-SCCA autocross I
attended this year my winter SOLO/car expenses would have been ZERO. As it now
stands the repairs and upgrades  that are being done have a strict budget
limit. Low enough that if the class is eliminated I will not have spent money
on something I cannot enjoy. I briefly considered parting out or scrapping the
car!

Rather than the 4.9 proposal forcing me to INCREASE my participation
level it has caused me to show up less!

Here is a point or two that do not
seem to be discussed enough and should be.  Why are the class participation
levels low? Is there someting we can do about it?

Bob Barone