[Autox] (no subject)

Larry Steckel lorenzoscribe at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 09:22:23 MST 2009

Grreg et Al.

Say what you will, but about ten years ago, I had a clubmate who bought a
brand new Suburban and specifically ordered all of the trailer towing packages
based on the weight of his car and trailer. His goal was to eventually go to
Nationals.  He did the following year towing a Honda Civic (1989 I think) on
an open aluminum trailer behind the Suburban. He got from Pittsburgh almost to
Columbus Ohio and discovered that his truck was on fire.

Once the fire was out, he discovered that the transmission had overheated blew
out the dipstick and burped Dexron onto the Catyclismic diverter. Of course it
lit up in a cheery fire which burned the wiring looms that ran across the back
of the engine bay as well as some engine wiring. It didn't do the paint any
good either.

GM didn't want to cover it under warrenty. They told him that if he was towing
he needed to install an aftermarket transmission oil cooler. He showed them
all of his paperwork that proved that he had ordered the approved GM equipment
the dealer said he needed.  They finally repaired the truck. He sold it and
went with a different brand.

Now those TrailX aluminum trailers are only about 1500 pounds. One of those
early Civics may be 2500 pounds soaking wet. So he was pulling a little over
4,000 pounds behind his Suburban.  A bare bones 1/2 ton pickup with no
equipment can tow 5,000 lbs. so one would think that this Suburban "should"
have been able to drag that Civic to the ends of the earth without a hitch.

Given his experience, I wouldn't regularly tow anything without installing the
biggest tranny oil cooler I can find.  No matter what claims are made by the
manufacturer.

Larry Steckel