[Bmcu] Utah vintage car inspection rules

jeremiah at curryclan.net jeremiah at curryclan.net
Fri Jan 22 13:46:19 MST 2010

My Car is a 1957 TR3, so I won't need emissions either way.B  However, not
needing a safety inspection to get the plate would be nice...that way I could
get it to the shop to get the inspection and fix anything needed.B  I am very
wary of inspections.B  The last car I bought, a modified 1992 MR2 Turbo needed
lot of work before it would pass, despite none of them actually being
unsafe.B
Windows were too dark, exhaust didn't have a cat (ok, that was eimmisions),
front side marker lights had been blacked out, no reflector on the side,
brake
lights not red enough, no rear side marker lights, etc.

I am afraid that the bumper missin is pretty obvouse, since there are gaping
wholes where it is supposed to attach. . . the problem is they aren't lining
up
well enought to actually attach the bumper yet :(

thanks for the info,
Jeremiah

On January 22, 2010 at 3:59 PM Keri Bruce <KBruce at lifetime.com> wrote:

> Is your car a 1970 or earlier?B  If it is 40 years or older you can get the
> "vintage" car plates.B  You only need to go to the DMV and apply for the
> plates.B  You can download the forms before you go in.B  You do not have to
show
> or even have the safety inspection when you get the process started.B  It
can
> take up to 60 days to get the plates.B  I think I paid $68.00 for the
"vintage"
> plates which included personalized letters (allowed only 5). The cost for
theB
> regular registration (2009) would have been $63.00 + safety + emission
costs.B
> I received the plates and they sent an expired sticker?B  I had to go back
in
> and pay the $10.00 renewal (my plates came after my original regular plates
> had expired which is why I got the expired sticker).B  The renewal is
supposed
> to be only $10.00 per year from now on (I will have to do the first (I
guess
> really the second) renewal this fall.B  I asked about the extra cost
normally
> charged for personalized plates, I was told that until someone from the
state
> catches on to the fact they are missing a fee, there is no extra charge for
> the personalized "vintage" plates.B  When you get the "vintage" plates you
no
> longer have to do any emission testing on you car.B  I live in Davis County
and
> this is a state regulation that you no longer need the emission after your
car
> is registered as a "vintage" car.B  You do not have to show the DMV any
proof
> of safety inspection.B  They just said you need to have one if you get
pulled
> over.B  As to your question about needing a front bumper, I really don't
think
> most of the inspection stations would know if it was on the car
originally.B
> The only place I would not take the car is to the a State inspection
station.B
> Ours is in Kaysville.B  I remember either last year or the year before
Mitch