[Bmcu] Utah vintage car inspection rules

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Fri Jan 22 18:01:22 MST 2010

Back when I was puttering about part time at Bailey's there were not
many British cars that wouldn't pass emissions, once Mike or I tweaked
them a bit.  There were also a couple that were just always a problem
of one sort or another.

Safety inspections were a bit different.  Sure, Jiffy Lube, Big O and such
would check a few things.  So would we.  We'd also look at known weak
spots in the frame, dry trunnions, TR6 diff mounts and such and often
render an opinion on the overall road worthiness of a car, something you
wouldn't get from a chain franchise.  The cars would usually pass, but
we'd try to let folks know when they were skating on thin ice, so to
speak.

Many years ago my first TR6, recently purchased, passed the state safety
inspection.  The next day on my way to the U of U a front suspension
trunnion that probably hadn't seen any lubrication since it left the
factory sheared and pull out of the control arm.  Nice.  I remember
walking by that section of street and seeing the gouge I left in the
asphalt, until it got paved over.

mjb.