[Bmcu] Bought a Mini!

Gary Lindstrom gary at cs.utah.edu
Wed May 1 13:09:21 MDT 2013

Rich gives sound advice, but I'll add some personal experience.

1) In my experience the personalized number search process on the DMV
website is not complete, current or authoritative as to whether a
particular number is available.

2) I recommend against applying in person - use mail instead.  I asked a
DMV clerk whether a number was possible and she stated "it's not
available".  Note she didn't say "it's taken" - I wonder if some numbers
are either reserved for Big Shots or in some kind of administrative limbo.

In this case I had a friend who consults for the DMV look in up himself
in their database, and determined it was available.  I submitted the
application by mail and it was approved.

3) The number in question is "XK" for my XK140. This proves (at least as
of a few years ago) that numbers shorter than 5 characters are possible.

4) You are allowed three choices on the application (first, second,
third).  If none are available, your check is returned fairly quickly.
Moral: don't hesitate to ask for anything, as long as you can afford to
be patient.

5) For each choice you are required to provide an explanation - probably
to deter interpretations that the number requested is somehow obscene,
political, inciteful, etc. etc. Don't waste that opportunity to lobby
for your choice, e.g. "it's the name of my sweetheart who has only 6
months to live", etc. etc.

Hope this helps,
     --Gary