[Bricklin] Off Topic - computer

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Tue Feb 2 15:05:34 MST 2010

Boy, I"m really learning to hate computer!!!!

My computer died on me Sun. morning.  No biggie, I've got backups.

So with 10" of snow on the ground I drive over to a friends house that has some
test equipment to check out my machine.  Looks like something big,
either the mother
board or the CPU.  So I guess it's time to buy a new machine.

So Mon. I go out looking for a new machine.  I ended up with a Dell
and Windows 7.

Get it home, and start setting it up.  It took me about 2 hours to
get it plugged in and
just get the sound working.  Today, I start by moving the hard drive
from my old
machine and installing it in and external drive case I have some I can move my
data over.  No problem.  That took a couple of hours.  Next I start
virus software.  Once that's done, I try to get hooked up to my
wireless router.
What a fiasco that was.  After 2 1/2 hrs. I give up, and run back out
to the store to
get a new wireless USB adapter for the new machine.  About 1 hr after
I get home
I've got the machine on the air.

So now I"ve spent something like 9 or 10 hrs trying to get this
machine up, and I don't
like the way it's configured.  I'll have to work on that later.

This on the heals of cleaning out my old computer room so we can
paint and replace
the floor.  So all my stuff is scattered all over the house.  No idea
where anything is.

I guess tomorrow I spend the day looking for the desktop publishing
program so I can
get started on the magazine.

So if anyone has sent me an email and I haven't responded, that's
why.  I've only got
about 250 email to go through now.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net