[PreWar] oil pump mesh/strainer

Mike Rambour mikey at b2systems.com
Wed Oct 5 13:17:10 MDT 2011

   Lots of great questions !!!   Since I got stuck on some BSF studs
that wont be here until next week :( I have a few extra days to find the
mesh, I will remove the oil pan on my other 34 this weekend (not looking
forward to that job) and get the same size mesh, that should be ok.

   I actually had not thought of oil yet, the owners manual calls for
straight 30, so I was going to put in 30, I prefer lighter oil but I am
concerned 0W/20 might be too light.   It should be mid-60's F when I run
it.  I likely will not let the engine warm up to temp this time around.
What is the advantage of 0/20 if I don't plan on running it long, I know
it will flow better but I don't want to damage anything.

   Is MMO Marvel ?  no, but I did put 5W/20 that I use in my truck down
the cylinders and I will fill the sump by pouring oil all over the
camshaft just prior to putting on the valve cover.  I have a small
garden sprayer that I cut the end of the hose on and by removing the oil
pressure gauge line on the side of the block, I will pressurize the
system to 5-10psi oil pressure, I did that already once and got oil all
over the place since I did not have the oil pan on, just wanted to see
if it worked.

   Gas tank is out and at Tank Renu right now so I will be running from
a local reservoir.  New fuel lines from the tank to the motor have
already been put in.

  If it fires, then I have to send out the radiator for repair and
finish the brakes, need new brake lines in the back and I already have
the brake flex lines made.  Then its go out for a drive :), I am hoping
in the next month or less.

     mike