[British-cars] 1967 MGB / smog on change of ownership question

Mike Wilson mawilson013 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 00:15:53 MST 2009

Here's a question that some of you might be able to help with: I have a  1967 MGB roadster that's been sitting for about 6 years. We are considering moving, and I should probably get rid of it before we move.

Now, as I understand it, when one sells a car in CA, it is the seller's responsibility to provide a smog certificate with the car, which would probably be difficult. Furthermore, I was told that just because the seller specifies "as is" in the bill of sale, he could still be responsible for costs incurred by the buyer when they decide to smog the car. I suppose a worst-case scenario would be the buyer saying that smogging the car required a full engine rebuild & new exhaust, demanding that the seller cover these costs. So the question is:  Is there some way to sell a car (with
certificate of non-operation) without incurring some responsibility of smogging the car?

     Thanks,
Mike