lots of very good advice

Daniels, Phil Phil.Daniels@METROKC.GOV
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:25:38 -0700

Thank you all,

I must say, I am really grateful for this new media for information
exchange.

As many of you know, I have been having a sporadic problem in my BRG BN7.

It would create a very disturbing noise at no regular time.

It could be a block from the house or miles down the road.

Sometimes I could drive all weekend without a chirp.

When I sent an e-mail to Jim at the club with a plea for guidance, he put
the word out on the autox.

Thank you all who sent me the great suggestions as to where to look for the
problem.

And even for the one idea that was not so great.

I think I must have gotten at least as many different remedies as I did
e-mails.

Very interesting.

I am not sure if I have solved the problem of the random noise generator.

I pulled the starter and found the shaft to be bent about 3/16".

Suspecting this to be a problem,

I bought a new armature in stock in Seattle at Romaine Electric on 6th
South.

While replacing the armature, I found the return spring, the small one
against the starter body, to be crushed and not very functional.

I worked on the spring for a while and cleaned up the slide for it.

It now functions as it should.

By the way, FYI, the nut on the end of the armature is Left hand thread.

(I have marked up my shop manual to show this.)

I got it back together late yesterday.

I will be road testing it this weekend.

Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks again

Happy Healey-ing

Phil.daniels@metrokc.gov

Philip M. Daniels

Engineering

Metropolitan King County

Wastewater Treatment Division

Department of Natural Resources and Parks

MS BWO-NR-0100

22509 State Route 9 SE

Woodinville, WA 98072

Office 206 296 1433