Phil's car problem. (Another suggestion)

PlaneZany@aol.com PlaneZany@aol.com
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:19:28 EDT

I would suggest he do a compression  check of his engine.  Correct
compression is about 150 - 175 psi  during cranking with the throttles wide open, but
more important is that  variation between any two cylinders should not be more
than 10 -  15 psi.

I have experienced something very  similar with my BJ8 several years ago.  It
turned out to be pieces missing  from the top of the piston, at the edges.
Apparently, the pieces would  rattle around in the cylinder until they exited
the exhaust valve.  If this  is the guy's problem, it should show up on a
compression check, and he can  verify it by pulling the head.  In my car, I did not
notice any problems  with the way the engine was running, but I had the
sudden, rattling sound that  would end quickly, but the last time it went on for a
mile or  more.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666