roundup of Nelson travel plans

Byron Krystad bkrystad@drizzle.com
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:32:22 -0700

Sounds like it would be helpful to have a summary of the various Nelson
travel plans that are forming. I'll put down what I've heard from various
club members either at events or at the last club meeting. Please send me
directly and corrections or additional routes/times that you are aware of.
If there's a specific plan you want to join, please let one of the contacts
know, if one is given, or let me know and I can tell a contact when they
make themselves known. Thanks!

-Byron Krystad
Seattle, BN2

---------------
GOING TO NELSON
---------------

PLAN A
This is a two day trip leaving Saturday for the folks helping out the B.C.
club with preparations and who need to be there one day ahead of time. Plan
is to leave Saturday for Omak, WA (I think?), and then drive to Nelson on
Sunday to start work. Contacts include Lois and Neil Buhman, Jan and Dennis
Saxon, and Karen and Doug Miller.

PLAN B
This is for a Sunday/Monday drive with an overnight in Grand Forks, B.C. It
includes two variations on getting to Grand Forks.
> Flavor #1 is to drive through eastern Washington and cross the border
(which crossing?) to get to Grand Forks Sunday night. This is for some folks
from the east side of the mountains (Wenatchee, Yakima, etc.) [Need a
contact for this route?]
> Flavor #2 is to drive north from Puget Sound on Hwy9 to Sumas and drive
the Canada side through Hope and Manning Park to get to Grand Forks for
Sunday night as well. This is for "wet" siders. Contacts include myself and
John Snyder.

PLAN C
This is for a two or three day drive (not sure) that includes seeing some
different areas of B.C. on the way to Nelson. One variation includes going
north to Revelstoke and then driving south to Nelson. Another includes going
through Merritt and Westbank and taking the Fauquier ferry across Arrow Lake
to take Hwy6 to Nelson. Jim Slostad is the contact if you're interested in
one of these adventures. Not sure if one's been decided yet. Jim?

PLAN D
Got another plan? Hwy2 or I90 to eastern Washington on Sunday and then up
over one of the eastern border crossings? One day blast through Spokane? Sea
plane? Please let me know what you're set up to do so we can see if there
are others who might benefit from joining you.

---------------------
RETURNING FROM NELSON
---------------------

THE OREGON PLAN
Bill Bolton from the Oregon club is planning a very exciting and longer
return trip for those so inclined. It includes going east from Nelson, down
through Montana and Glacier Park, and then continuing West. If you've got
the time, consider it. Information is on the Cascade club web site or
contact Bill directly.

THE CANADA PLAN
There will be a lot of people headed west out of Nelson to Vancouver and
points south on Friday. Some will be trying it all in one day (not for the
faint of heart), others may want to reserve a stop in Hope or some other
western B.C. town to spend Friday night and make the rest of the leg on
Saturday. Ideally, we'd pick one hotel to make reservations at on the return
trip if there are folks who want to take it slow. Alex, I think you said you
already made reservations somewhere? Can you send me details?

THE EASTERN WASHINGTON PLAN
Plenty of roads thread down over the border and eventually get you to Hwy2
or I-90 for the return to your eastern or western Washington home. No doubt
there will be a few trains to hitch your wagon to on this route, either one
or two days. Anyone have thoughts or specifics about this idea?