Kirkland Concours d'Elegance September 7, 2008

John Snyder helyjohn at cablespeed.com
Sun Jul 13 21:38:59 MDT 2008

Don't count on a nice Healey winning a trophy.  I was invited to enter last
year.  Of the few number of Healeys entered (3), (you must be invited)  the
worst one was given 2nd place in the class, a 100-4.  The body panel fit was
so bad that you could see the boot lid sticking up above the rear shroud
from 20 feet away.  Worst door gaps I've ever seen.  1st place in the
British class went to a MG TC that you could see daylight thru the door gaps
when standing on the opposite side of the car.  When we went to the award
presentation, the chief judge explained the awards were based on the
historical value of the cars.  The TC was the car that the GI's brought home
after WW 2, and started the evolution of bringing British sports cars to the
US.  It appeared that the 100-4 got 2nd because it was the first
"inexpensive" sports car that could go 100 mph and be raced.

Please don't get me wrong...I enjoyed being there  Great food/drinks for the
entrants, b'fast, lunch, dinner; all part of the entry!!  I just did not
understand how the cars would be judged.

John Snyder
1959 BN7
1960 BT7
1961 BN7 MK2