FW: Penetrating Oils.......learn something every day

Horn, Granville GHorn at kentwa.gov
Mon Dec 3 09:16:22 MST 2012

For Your Information

Penetrating Oils
Machinist's Workshop MagT recently published some information on various
penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate
this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on
rusted nuts.
They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They
arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control
being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted"
environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any
commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally
good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of
the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also
use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix. *ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid
This actually works well, power-steering fluid also works as well as trans
fluid!

-