[Chapman-era] What kind of rear axle is in this Caterham? unclassified

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Tue Mar 10 12:15:37 MST 2009

----- "Rod Bean" <rodbean at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Well there you go Phil.  That's a lot of good information.
>
> You know, of course that the original equipment diff on most of the
> Sevens came from a Triumph 10 (small sedan

One of our Minnesota Triumphs members has one of these and

> which was, in turn, the
> basis for the Spitfire).

The Spitfires was born of the Herald, with a swing-axle rear suspension.

> Once Seven owners started to put sticky
> tires and increase the horsepower, the Cortina diff became a better
> choice for many.

The way I heard it, Triumph 10 axles became difficult to obtain.  Chapman probably had gotten a good deal on a warehouse-full of them in the first place, and when they ran out it was time to move on.

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L   1979 Caterham 7
1993 Suburban  1994 Miata C-package  2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums   http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier