[Roadsters] Sliding Roadster from Solvang 2007 - Gettin OT

Gary McCormick gkmcc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 29 07:43:48 MDT 2008

I have been wondering for years now why someone in the movie industry hasn't clued in and applied a little CG magic to making the wheels of cars, wagons, chariots, etc. look like they're moving realistically. It couldn't be that hard to do - not compared to some of the things they're doing with CG effects these days...

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
Whose Roadster's wheels don't slide or roll or do anything... at the moment.

Pat Horne <roadsters at hornesystemstx.com> wrote: Peter,

What you are referring to is stroboscopic effect. It is the same
principal as used in a timing light. The camera scans a frame at 30 or
60 times a second. If the wheel spokes are in the same visual position
each frame, they will look like they are standing still. I've seen
movies where the wheels of a car or wagon appear to be turning backward
because of this effect. It does look really strange!

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake peter harrison:

--