[Roadsters] Hot or cold Adjustment

dave daveandlindab at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 19:54:08 MDT 2008

Steve, valves tap due to clearance, not from engine load.  It sounds
like you are getting spark knock(ping).  If it stops as soon as you back
off the gas and starts again as soon as the engine is loaded, very
likely it's spark knock.

Valve adjustment is a good thing to do anyway, it makes an improvement
in all aspects of the car's running. It is normally done on a fully
warmed up engine.  I found it much easier with the spark plugs removed.

Spark knock has 3 basic causes, low octane fuel, vacuum leaks, too light
or no oil in the carbs, and most popular is over advanced timing, either
a smog distributor set at non smog timing spec, or internal advance
problems.  Set the base timing to match your distributor, fill the carbs
to the proper level, opinions vary on oil, IIRC 20 wt is factory spec,
10w30,and Dexron ATF are also popular.

Dave Brisco