[Roadsters] Hot or cold Adjustment

robert k. smith rksmith46 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 20:38:24 MDT 2008

hi steve, in addition to what dave said, i would ck. the compression of the

cyls. if the head has been machined too much, you might have a very high

 compression. i think 160-185 lbs is about average. if you are close to

200lbs., thats too high. you can still retard the timing to help the pinging.

good luck.  bob smith> From: daveandlindab at comcast.net> To:
stebharvey at ameritech.net; datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net> Date: Mon, 6 Oct
2008 21:54:08 -0400> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Hot or cold Adjustment> > Steve,
valves tap due to clearance, not from engine load. It sounds> like you are
getting spark knock(ping). If it stops as soon as you back> off the gas and
starts again as soon as the engine is loaded, very> likely it's spark knock.>
> Valve adjustment is a good thing to do anyway, it makes an improvement> in
all aspects of the car's running. It is normally done on a fully> warmed up
engine. I found it much easier with the spark plugs removed. > > Spark knock
has 3 basic causes, low octane fuel, vacuum leaks, too light> or no oil in the
carbs, and most popular is over advanced timing, either> a smog distributor
set at non smog timing spec, or internal advance> problems. Set the base
timing to match your distributor, fill the carbs> to the proper level,
opinions vary on oil, IIRC 20 wt is factory spec,> 10w30,and Dexron ATF are
also popular.> > Dave Brisco> > > > -----Original Message-----> From: Steve
Harvey [mailto:stebharvey at ameritech.net] > Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 6:03
AM> To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net> Subject: [Roadsters] Hot or cold
Adjustment> > Group,> > > > I'm getting a pinging sound from my 1600 engine
when under a load so I'd> like to check the gap (0.017" per the book) for the
lifter and valves.> The> book for the 1600 doesn't say if this should be done
with a cold or hot> engine. The 2000 procedure states "Hot".> > > > Thanks> >
http://www.team.net/donate.html> > You are subscribed as
http://www.team.net/archive> >