[Roadsters] starter--revisited

Tim tputland at charter.net
Sat Oct 4 09:06:19 MDT 2008

After finding and fixing a mis-grounded negative battery cablebThe PO had it
mounted to the aluminum smog pump bracket. OMG!     I have been able to get
the starter to turn the motor just a littlebthe fan is making about half a
turn and there is noise coming from the starterbnot a clicking just a kind
of like a slight groan (??I thnk...it is hard to describe--??). I have not
kept trying to get the motor to turn over as I have seen a wisp of smoke
coming up between the carbs. This must be coming from the starter I have to
assume.

Is my starter shot? Can they be tested?

This is a 70 2000 by the way. If I reposition the jack stand I can get under
the car better to see and work on the starter.

Thanks

Tim
Belleville, WI.
'70 SPL AND SRL
Still clueless but always learning

---- Steve Harvey <stebharvey at ameritech.net> wrote:

Tim,

I think you can put the car on jack stands, remove the front left wheel and
you should be able to get to the starter.

Steve
P.S. I removed all of the hardware from the bumper and will bring them along
on Friday. I had to cut off the two brackets with my torch because the
welded nuts broke loose when I tried to unscrew the bolts.