[Roadsters] starter--revisited

ljordan704 at netscape.net ljordan704 at netscape.net
Sat Oct 4 10:44:51 MDT 2008

 Tim,
You might want to check the wires coming from the alternator. Smoke is no good. I would still DC the battery and go around to every electrical connector and ground point on the car and spray electrical contact cleaner and sand the ground points. Some points will be irrelevant to your problem, perhaps, but at least you will have a good beginning reference point. Also check the voltage regulator ground, if you have one, which is the screw holes into the car body.?
Since the PO did some wacky wiring there could be more and going around to all connections etc can help you find it before it becomes a meltdown. It still may not help though if it's really a hack job but maybe you can save it. Hope so! The fact that your starter kind of turned may mean it is wiring not the starter itself, thus saving you from pulling the starter and buying a new one.
Linda