[Roadsters] heater core hose

dave daveandlindab at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 17:47:15 MDT 2008

Tim, to answer the question, you can remove the hoses to the heater
core, cap off the fittings, but I would recommend leaving the hose from
the manifold to the waterpump.  They sell rubber caps for the hose
nipple, goes on with a hose clamp.  I ran the hose down to the inner
fender and secured it with loop clamps.

If I read the coolant flow diagram correctly,  the hose from the T
around to the heater core, back through the other hose into the rear of
the manifold and basically just feeds the heater core.  The hose on the
other side of the T that goes to the waterpump is your bypass circuit.
It has a small restriction so the water flows out the back hose, through
the heater and back to the side of the T (the hose you are talking
about) and into the waterpump inlet.  When the heater valve is closed,
the water just goes from the manifold directly to the pump.  When the
thermostat is closed, there is no water going into the radiator from the
engine to feed the waterpump.  This hose feeds water from the head,
through the manifold, to the waterpump inlet so there is a circulation
of coolant.  Without this hose, the waterpump has no fluid to circulate
and may cavitate and froth up the fluid, also there is no real
circulation in the block and head which can lead to hotspots.  If you
don't have a thermostat, no problem, but that brings up it's own issues.

The 1600 does something similar for bypass, but on the outside of the
manifold.

On your starter, if you haven't bought one yet, get an H20 starter, half
the price, half the size and more cranking power.  Any doubts about your
ground cable replace it, and add a ground strap from engine to frame.

Dave Brisco