[Roadsters] Datsun Alternator

Jim Gammon gtpjimgammon at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 12:37:25 MDT 2008

Thanks to all who advised.

I checked all connections. I took the cover off the regulator and lightly
cleaned the contacts with 600 grit.

I can't find anything on 311 unless I want to change alternators. I don't know
where the diodes are, and one suggestion was to look at the brushes, which I
don't know anything about at all. I thought only generators had brushes.

I did find this on the internet, but I'm not sure which drawing applied to a
69 311.
http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/wiring/alternator/trouble.htm

I really would like to figure this out without replacing parts. I really don't
want to go to the GM alternator if I don't have to.

The charging system worked fine until I took the engine out and rebuilt it. I
know I connected the wires correctly, but it simply does not charge.

JimG