[Roadsters] roadster alternator check, do a once over first

Fergus OFarrell fergus06 at socal.rr.com
Sun Oct 12 19:59:28 MDT 2008

Jim,
having come from this before, the first thing I suggets is making sure all
connections in the charging loop are sound.
I launched off on a GM alt swap, only to find, sometime past the point of
half-way, (radiator out, alt purchased, brackets removed) that a single wire
sizeable gauge wire in the charging system loop was loose.  Since then I have
given away both the alt and voltage regulator, and stayed with the GM system,
but would saved myself a ton o time if I had only just done a preliminary
check and given all the wires in the initial (coming out of the alt and
connect to elsewhere) a good once-over.

Okay, so once over that, most auto stores can check an alt for charging, but
many times it is the voltage reg not telling it when to charge.  How to check
a regulator I will leave to mroe of the experts. (Sandhoff, Pat Horne, etc)

Just remember the roadster mantra:  "grounds are good. grounds are good,
grounds are good"

Fergus O, 69 2000, now in Los Alamitos, CA (the home of Wings, Wheels, and
Rotors, coming next week)   http://www.wwrexpo.net/sh.htm