[Roadsters] datsun ealry 67 1600 head gasket

John F Sandhoff sandhoff at csus.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:50:45 MDT 2008

> www.ranteer.com/misc
> ...am i really in deep, and how deep?

Mmmm, that rust concerns me. I suspect it's affected the rings,
and you'll likely have some problems if you don't clean it out. To
get to them, of course, necessitates popping the pistons. When
you do that, you'll need to make sure the bearing inserts are
still OK - trust me, the rod knock will prove the folly of reusing
worn parts. Are the cylinder walls at all etched with the rust? Any
problems in the walls call for some machine work (then again,
replacing the rings call for a wall honing, or the new rings won't
seat).

Between cyls 1 and 2, your picture shows what looks to be a strange
rough spot. Is that just the picture, or is there any (any at all) damage
in the block surface between hole 1 and 2? That's a major issue, as
over time the cylinder gases will trench between the two cylinders.

That said, you MAY get away with an easy-out and a gasket, but
such cars usually quickly end up in another (unsuspecting) owner's
hands soon thereafter...

Hate to be kinda negative here. I've taken shortcuts before, and it's
never turned out well in the long run.

-- John
     John F Sandhoff   sandhoff at csus.edu   Sacramento, CA