[Roadsters] Oregon House Bill To Worry About

Tom @ Datsun2000 tom at datsun2000.com
Sat Feb 7 09:47:02 MST 2009

Talk about a nanny state.

Oregon has a bill going through the state house right now that will kill all
the fun for gearheads.  H.B. 2186 forbids replacing the tires on your car
with any tire that would increase the rolling resistance.  What that means
it that wider tires, possibly even snow tires would be prohibited.  This
bill was recommended by our wonderful governor, who is number 50 in rating
of all 50 governors in the US.  He thinks this will keep the temp of the
earth from rising when for the last three years it has been falling.

Not only does this bill forbid using tires that are essentially OEM tires
only, many aftermarket parts are also forbidden, including things like
wheels and trailer hitches.

How many jobs would be lost because of this ridiculous legislation?  How
many small business owners will have to declare bankruptcy in a time when
business is already down?  Why does Oregon hate business so much?

Isn't it wonderful to live in a state where the unemployment is close to the
highest in the land and know that your governor and legislature don't give a
#(*& about that minor detail?  With the state economy going into the dump
you would think they would consider important things that add jobs, not
destroy them, and maybe even consider ways to get out of our lives, but no.
But then, that would be an absolutely ridiculous thing for a good, caring,
responsible politician to do.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/hotnews/0901sr_oregon_introduces_bill_prohibi
t_sale_aftermarket_parts/index.html

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted people to see what a nanny state does when
it only cares about big government and stays up late at night to find small
ways to get into the lives of the people.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com