[Roadsters] Motor apart

Andy Cost andycost at embarqmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:17:09 MST 2009

I fixed a slipping supercharger belt problem before the last race of the
season in November. It really ran well for about 30 seconds. It then started
to miss badly. We ran the remainder of the race in Dennis' Mustang. I
finally got the motor apart this evening. It had the milkshake oil problem.
When I got it all apart I found 1 blown headgasket, two spun bearings, three
broken pistons, and a partridge in a pear tree. It really isn't as bad as it
could be. About an inch of the netal sealing ring around the bore in the
headgasket was gone. It looks like a bit of the metal may have gotten in the
rod bearings because two of them have scratches through the coating and into
the copper. The journals look fine with no scratches or anything. Three
pistons have broken ring lands but no missing bits of metal. I have an ARP
head stud kit and a metal headgasket to put back on it. I will buy a new set
of pistons and rings and replace the rod bearings. I don't think I'm going
to do any additional rebuilding past that. I think that the months where it
was running poorly from injection problems caused some detonation which
eventually broke the ringlands and headgasket. I'm going to install Frontier
truck pistons because they are lower compression than the 240sx ones.

Andy