[Roadsters] scams on Craigslist

Tom @ Datsun2000 tom at datsun2000.com
Sun Feb 22 16:12:52 MST 2009

It is not just roadsters.

I placed an ad for a friend who wanted to rent a room in her home.  She got
a nice reply from a lady in England.  After several pleasant e-mails the
prospective renter wanted to send a $4000 check, from which the deposit and
several months rent was to be deducted.  The remainder was to be wired back
to pay for surgery for her mother.

Fortunately my friend told me about this funny request and I educated my her
about this scam.  She has seen it several time since and always avoided it.

I was at a Western Union office for another reason and a customer was
arguing with the teller, who was telling him what he was doing was a scam.
He would not listen and wanted to send $1200, even after I told him what the
teller was telling him was a very common scam.  I don't know what he finally
did, but he was determined to send the money because he was going to make so
much money over and above the cost of the dog he was selling.  Isn't greed
wonderful?

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland, OR