[Roadsters] oil pump/oil pump gasket and pan gasket

Pat Horne pat at hornesystemstx.com
Tue Oct 6 08:16:27 MDT 2009

I'm not a big fan of shellac because it dries hard and can crack over
time. My favorite gasket sealer for the last 40+ years has been Permatex
#3 - also known as Aviation Form-a-Gasket. It is non-hardening.

On gaskets between parts, such as oil pump to engine, I'd use it on both
sides of the gasket. On pan gaskets I prefer to glue the gasket to only
one surface, generally the sheet metal surface, rather than the machined
block surface. Since this is a cork gasket just light tightening should
make the gasket seal, while the gasket sealer will hold the gasket in
place until the pan is tightened.

I just went to the Permatex web site and it seems that they recommend
Permatex #2 for pan and valve cover gaskets. I haven't tried this
sealer, but will next time I have an engine open.

BTW, Permatex lists their part numbers as 3H or 2A, etc. The letter
following the number indicates the size of the container and has nothing
to do with the composition of the sealer.

Back in my early days with air-cooled VWs, I used the form-a-gasket to
hold the cork gaskets to the sheet metal valve covers and didn't use any
sealer between those gaskets and the heads. Never had a leak at those
locations.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Jonathan W. Longo, On 10/5/2009 9:47 PM:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice		5026 FM 2001